Baked Raisin-Cinnamon Apples

Goodness, November is nearly over - when did that happen?! This month has been so busy for me and as a result, I haven't been able to bake as much as I would have liked to. Still, never fear - I have a couple of new recipes on the way for you. (Hint: stock up on apples.) 

Does anyone else find taking pictures in winter (or autumn) a problem? By the time I get home on weekdays it's fairly dark and so I have to resort to the yellow-tinted kitchen light, which does not make for attractive photos! Maybe I'll invest in a source of lighting soon. I'll hopefully have the chance to do some cooking this weekend some sort of salad with sun-dried tomatoes) so I'll try and get some photos in the daylight! 

Anyway, I'm getting off-track...


This is a classic pudding. Baked apples with cinnamon and raisins, cooked so the apple is soft and warm and the raisins are juicy and there's a little bit of syrup left on the plate. Mmm! As preparations for Christmas involve lots of food tasting and testing and nibbling I thought I'd recommend this as a lovely little dessert that is somewhat healthy; just watch the amount of custard/ice cream you choose to add! 









I'll admit it, they're not great lookers. But surely the best comfort foods never are?

Baked cinnamon apples (serves 4)
4 large cooking apples
4 dsp raisins
4 dsp light brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
3 tbsp water
knob of butter

1. Heat the oven to 170C. Core the apples without breaking them apart. Slice a horizontal line around each of the apples (otherwise they will explode!)

2. Place the apples in a baking tray, and, using a funnel, fill each apple with sugar and raisins. Pack them in tight! 

3. Add the water around the apples and top each apple with a knob of butter. Bake for 30 - 45 minutes depending on the size of the apples. They will begin to split along the horizontal line once they're ready and will be light and fluffy on the inside. 



Comments