Sweet and Salty

This isn't really a very difficult recipe. In fact, it's just a combination of several flavours!

I was inspired by a breakfast I had whilst on a weekend away. French toast came out of the hatch, followed by pieces of crisp bacon and a bottle of maple-flavoured golden syrup. I'd never made French toast before but I'd eaten it a few times, with berries and icing sugar and here, with the bacon. How hard can it be? I thought to myself.

And the answer is: 
It's so simple that you'll want to make it every weekend. 



I know that in the weeks coming up to Christmas (and New Year's Eve) a lot of people try to cut back in anticipation of all the party food that they are bound to eat. I can see your point! But for me, a girl who doesn't go out partying every night, I don't really get worried. After all, when I make my New Year's resolution I will start to go jogging again - yuck - so it will balance out!



Most French toast recipes use brioche, but I bought a loaf of white bread because brioche would be too sweet. Try and get thick slices if possible! I also used non-smoked bacon to let the maple flavour really sing through.

Serve with a cool glass of orange juice and a delighted smile. 





French Toast with Maple Bacon (serves 2)
2 large eggs
4 tbsp milk
2 - 4 slices white bread
Knob of butter
2 - 4 slices unsmoked bacon (depending on how hungry you are)
Maple syrup

1. Beat the eggs with the milk. Soak a slice of bread in the egg-milk mixture. Melt the butter in a saucepan and add the bread, cooking until it no longer releases any liquid. Continue to cook the other slices of bread as you start the bacon.

2. Fry the bacon until almost done (i.e. a little bit lighter than you want it to be), then remove it from the pan and pat dry with paper. Drain the fat from the pan and add a few spoonfuls of maple syrup, which will hiss on the hot pan. Quickly add the bacon and cook for a few minutes until crispy and caramelised. 

3. Spoon the French toast onto a plate. Add the bacon and squeeze over some more syrup. Tuck in!

Comments

  1. I love breakfasts like this one - substantial and filling! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really makes the holidays feel special! x

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness this looks abosutely delicious!! Will defo be making this soon :)

    Tosin xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I read all your comments and treasure each one. Drop me a line and I"ll check out your blog, too! x