Hello, Summer....... and goodbye, summer body.

I've entered the last week of exams and I can almost taste freedom. What does freedom taste like? I here you ask. Well, wonder no more, because I have a brand new recipe that is (in my opinion) one of the most perfect foods known to man.

Mars Bar Brownies. 


I'll just let that picture sink in.


Soft, chocolatey brownie. Melted, gooey Mars Bar. You may as well go the whole hog and add a scoop of vanilla ice cream!

I know that you'll all hate me for posting this recipe so close to bikini season. But, let's be real here - we can't live on salads and smoothies alone (and believe me, I've tried!). Keep your healthy breakfast, nutritious lunch and hour of cardio/weight training the same, and then indulge yourself after dinner with a little square of chocolatey goodness. 

After all, you deserve it. 


Gooey Mars Bar Brownies (makes around 20)
150g butter
250g light brown muscovado sugar
75g cocoa powder
200g plain flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
4 eggs
3 Mars bars, chopped

1. Heat the oven to 190°C. Line a baking tin*  and melt the butter in a pan. 

2. Measure out the sugar into a bowl. Once the butter is melted, pour it over the sugar and mix well. Sieve in the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder. 

3. Beat in the eggs until you have a thick and glossy mixture. Stir in two thirds of the Mars bar pieces. 

4. Pour the mixture into the lined tin. Sprinkle over the remaining Mars Bars and bake for 20 minutes or so until it is firm but still ever-so-slightly gooey. Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin before eating. (Trust me, caramel straight from the oven is NOT a good idea.)

*I used a brownie tin from Lakeland - a worthwhile purchase as it can be used for other things such as roasting vegetables, making traybakes etc. 

Adapted from Nigella Lawson's 'Everyday Brownies' from 'Kitchen'
- Note that whilst moist, these are not hugely fudgey; the Mars Bars bring enough goo!

Comments