Kitchen Essentials

This post already makes me feel like a chef. When you read cookery books - or am I the only one who does that?  - most of the writers create a list of things you shouldn't be without, from disposable trays to "CSI gloves" and spices to frozen prawns. 

You may already have an idea of what I keep in my cupboards, if you've looked through all my recipes. But I'd show you what my favourite ingredients and pieces of equipment are; maybe you'll find a new use for something of yours too!

For baking
Plain Flour
Self-raising flour
Caster sugar
Brown sugar 
Baking powder and bicarbonate of soda
Vanilla Extract

For cooking
Extra-virgin olive oil
Flavourless oil (e.g. sunflower)
Good quality balsamic vinegar
Mustard
Garlic
Salt and pepper, of course!
Pasta
Rice
Frozen peas

Herby things
Cinnamon
Nutmeg
Herbes de Provence
Bay leaves
Dried herbs are good; however, nothing beats a fresh herb garden. Grow things in pots on the windowsill if you're short of space! My favourites are thyme, mint and rosemary.

Little extras
Dried cranberries
Raisins
Seeds and nuts - pumpkin/sunflower seeds, walnuts and peanuts
Sundried tomatoes in oil (use the oil for salad dressings)
Rolled oats

Kitchen Equipment
Cast-iron pot (a brilliant investment)
Measuring scales
Measuring cups
A set of bowls for baking
A set of pans for cooking
Baking trays (brownie tins are very versatile) 
7-inch pair of cake tins
1lb loaf tin

What are you favourites and essentials for the kitchen? 

Comments