A little bit of spice...

It's finally here.
My first savoury recipe.

Despite the amount of cinnamon I use, I'm not actually a great one for chilli and hot curries. I do love Indian food; but I tend to stick to creamy coconut dishes or sometimes a vegetable samosa or a bhaji if I'm in the mood! When we can't get to the takeaway we usually buy a jar of sauce; lazy, I know, but on a weekday evening it's about as much time as we can bear in the kitchen! My family use this lovely korma sauce from Seeds of Change, and it's incredibly easy to create a tasty meal in under half an hour.

A few weeks ago I made this korma on a slow Saturday evening. I picked the recipe from an old Good Housekeeping recipe book and made a few tweaks of my own. Tastes vary, though, so you may have to adjust it to how you like it! 


(Apologies for lack of a photo. I did try to take one or two at the end but the lighting was awful and it didn't look very appetising! Trust me when I say that it's delicious.)


Creamy Korma (serves 4)
2 onions, peeled and chopped
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
4 cloves
5 cardamom pods, lightly crushed
1 cinnamon stick
2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cumin
3 - 4 chicken breasts, cut into chunks
squeeze of lemon juice
400ml coconut milk 
50g ground almonds

1. Saute the onions and garlic in the oil until softened. Add the spices and cook, stirring, for about 2 minutes.

2. Add the chicken to the pan with a squeeze of lemon juice. Lower the heat and stir in the coconut milk and ground almonds.

3. Half-cover the pan with a lid and simmer gently for about 30 minutes neil the chicken is cooked through. 

4. Serve with fluffy basmati rice or naan bread. 


It's as simple as that! 

Comments