Autumn Reads

I thought I'd do a little round up of what I've been reading recently, just to share my thoughts with you! I've tried to make time for a chapter of a book every night; I find that it relaxes me before dropping off to sleep. However much I may love late-night Pinterest sessions, I do find that it takes me longer to get to sleep so I've tried to make my bedroom a technology free zone. It's hard but I can feel the benefits!

Anyway, let's get down to the books! 

Photo from here.




A Clash of Ice and Kings, by George R.R Martin. 
(I suppose I should warn you that GoT is going to be on pretty much every book list of mine for a while. #sorrynotsorry)
Seriously, though, these books are great. I wrote a longer review of the first book (here) but the second was just as good. Some of you may not be keen on fantasy but I love it and it provides the perfect opportunity for me to escape from the real world for a while!

The Goldfinch, by Donna Tartt.
You've probably heard of this book by now and I'll admit that the only reason I bought it was because there was so much hype about it. However, I was pleasantly surprised by this Pulitzer Prize-winning book (it got the award for a reason!).  The narrative is sweet and innocent, and it's lovely to see the relationships between the characters develop. I haven't finished it yet but I am going to continue on. 

The Complaints, by Ian Rankin. 
I read this book whilst I was in France because I needed a paperback that wasn't too heavy to carry around in my hand luggage! I hadn't read anything of Ian Rankin's before, but for a girl who does like a good murder mystery this book ticked all the boxes. It was full of action and intrigue, with touches of humour and the occasional moment of peace to get to know the main character. The only criticism I have is that I found the actual plot slightly difficult to get hold of; I felt as if it ended quite quickly and I didn't quite understand how it had resolved! Still, maybe that's down to my teenage mind - maybe a later read will reveal a bit more. 

Longbourn, by Jo Baker.
I'd wanted to buy this book ever since reading about it in a magazine a few months ago. I love Jane Austen so I was excited to read this book, which is about the servants in Pride and Prejudice. It's well written and easy to read, and I found that I really enjoyed learning a bit more about what might have been happening in the Bennet household. It certainly made me look at the girls in a new light! It didn't take me very long to read and I'd recommend it for a little escapism. 

Blogs! 
I love discovering new blogs.  I've definitely been influenced by blogs in the past (though not always in a good way!), but here are a few new discoveries of mine.

I Believe In Miracles
This is a blog written by my best friend, Erin. - No, this isn't just a promotion! - Erin has struggled recently, battling diabetes, major spinal surgery and depression. She's been hospitalised twice but is now back at home, trying to get on with her A-levels and experiencing some of the exciting opportunities the world has to offer. I find her perspectives on anxiety and individuality truly moving, and it's helped me to think more about people suffering from depression. It's something that affects many people we know, and it's so important that we understand how they're feeling and why they may be feeling that way so that we can help them. 
I'll let her do the rest of the talking!

Alphabeth
Also a blog with a personal link. It's written by my friend's sister Beth, and it's just such a lovely blog, filled with her gorgeous photographs and little thoughts. (Also, I'm in love with her blog header!)

The Tea Drinking English Rose
I've been following Charlotte for a while now, but recently I've found myself going back to her blog more and more. She has such a unique style; she's honest and isn't afraid to tell you if she's had a bad week. I love reading what she's been up to and her blog always feels like an oasis of calm amongst other bloggers who are busy flying to Paris or Morocco or taking long weekends abroad. Don't get me wrong - I love reading about exotic travels, but sometimes it's nice to read about a blogger who seems a little more 'real'. 

Do you have any reading suggestions? 

Comments

  1. Hi Emma! Anna told me you had written this, thank you so much!! I'm so glad you like my blog :) xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I read all your comments and treasure each one. Drop me a line and I"ll check out your blog, too! x